Yup, you read that right! I’m doing a little spin on the classic Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich, since April 2nd was the national day to have a PB&J sandwich. Even though, I’m a little late to the game, I thought I’d put in the challenge to create something different. Something alternative. Something almost as equally simple and delicious.
The headline says it all, Almond Butter & Jelly Popcorn Oat Bars, but I’d like to call them… Awesome bars. Yeah, I like that. We’ll now call them Awesome bars. What’s in an Awesome bar? Delicious nut-free, non-dairy, gluten-free alternative goodness.
Why I chose these ingredients?
Well, I’m a sucker for tasty pre-popped popcorn. I also used Almond Butter instead of Peanut Butter, because my son is allergic to peanuts. Just like with most recipes, you can change up the ingredients. Instead of almost butter, try another non-nut alternative or use peanut butter. Substitute honey with agave or maple syrup. Oats are naturally gluten-free, but it can be substituted or mixed in with an alternative.
What you’ll need:
- Large saucepan
- 9 in. square baking pan
- Oil, Butter, or some kind of grease
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 2/3 Cup Almond Butter
- 4 Cup Popcorn
- 1 Cup Oats (gluten-free)
- Strawberry jam/jelly
Total Time Prep & Cook:
15 minutes (if using pre-popped popcorn); 20 minutes (un-popped popcorn)
- Line the baking pan with your choice of non-sticking component, also known as grease. I used vegetable oil.
- Pour honey into a large saucepan and heat until boiling.
- Pour and stir almond butter until completely mixed.
- Remove saucepan from heat and mix popcorn and oats until it’s completely coated with the honey+almond butter mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan, press the mixture until evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate until cool, remove from fridge and cut.
- Spread jelly on a bar and sandwich the jelly with another bar.
Comment below if you’ve tried this recipe!
*This was not a sponsored post. All products used in this recipe was purchased by me.